Stephen Gran on 30 May 2006 00:29:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iomega REV drive on Debian

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:36:09PM -0400, Lee Marzke said:
> The system boots from an Adaptec IDE raid board that appears as 1 SCSI
> drive, which works.  But my  /dev/hda boot disk  and cdrom are not
> detected, and no /dev files exist anymore.
>
> I found this link which may help.
>
> http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140380&goto=nextoldest
> I've confirmed that the ide-detect ( or ide-probe ) modules are
> missing
>
> The IDE driver with the 2.4 kernel works, and is a SIS5513,  and I
> found the following:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/01/msg00704.html
>
> So after doing a rmmod  sis5513,  and modprobe ide-generic.   the IDE
> drives FINALLY worked !
>
> Now,   how do I get  ide-generic loaded at boot instead of   sis5513
> ?

Except that, as you may have noticed by now, you'll be unable to get any
real speed out of them with the ide-generic module, since it can't do
DMA transfers, and you've effectively reset all your IDE drives to PIO
only rates, which is terrible.

What you want is two lines in /etc/modules, frist one for sis5513 and
then one for ide-generic (or possibly just ide-probe, which may be all
you need).
|  Stephen Gran                  | Psychology.  Mind over matter.  Mind    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | under matter?  It doesn't matter. Never |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | mind.                                   |