Lee Marzke on 30 May 2006 03:45:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] iomega REV drive on Debian

Stephen Gran wrote:
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:36:09PM -0400, Lee Marzke said:
The system boots from an Adaptec IDE raid board that appears as 1 SCSI
drive, which works.  But my  /dev/hda boot disk  and cdrom are not
detected, and no /dev files exist anymore.

I found this link which may help.

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140380&goto=nextoldest
I've confirmed that the ide-detect ( or ide-probe ) modules are
missing

The IDE driver with the 2.4 kernel works, and is a SIS5513,  and I
found the following:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/01/msg00704.html

So after doing a rmmod  sis5513,  and modprobe ide-generic.   the IDE
drives FINALLY worked !

Now, how do I get ide-generic loaded at boot instead of sis5513
?

Except that, as you may have noticed by now, you'll be unable to get any real speed out of them with the ide-generic module, since it can't do DMA transfers, and you've effectively reset all your IDE drives to PIO only rates, which is terrible.

What you want is two lines in /etc/modules, frist one for sis5513 and
then one for ide-generic (or possibly just ide-probe, which may be all
you need).
The SIS5513 ide driver is broken in the Deb 2.6 kernel, it signs on, but doesn't connect anything.
Neither hard disk or cdrom works. Only the ide-generic works. Manual hda= kernel config
commands didn't work either.

I haven't notice the speed as the Rev is a packet writing (UDF) format which is slow to
begin with.

Lee

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke