Stephen Gran on 15 Jun 2006 16:29:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] exim4 conf (Debian)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:58:15AM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
>     85c85
>     < file_transport unset in system_aliases router
>     ---
>     > transport "address_fileNSPORT" not found in system_aliases router
>
> It looks like something is messing up the variable substitution, since
> "NSPORT" is the last six characters of SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT.
> The variable substitution takes place after config.autogenerated is
> created.

That looks like a problem - it's chopping the macro at 24 characters for
some reason.  It's not quite variable substitution, it's more like macro
preprocessing, just FYI.

> Looking in config.autogenerated, I see this:
>
>     jeff@astra:~ $ grep SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated
>       .ifdef SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT
>       file_transport = SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT

I don't see the initial declaration of the macro
SYSTEM_ALIASES_FILE_TRANSPORT in there - I guess it's not getting added
for some reason?

> There's a clear work-around: I create the user devnull and establish a
> procmail rule for that user that dumps everything received to
> /dev/null.  But that's one extra thing to remember to do when I
> migrate machines, as well as feeling like a hack.

First try to make sure it actually gets added to the config file.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Q: What's tiny and yellow and very,     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | very, dangerous? A: A canary with the   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | super-user password.                    |