Greg Lopp on 10 Jul 2006 18:25:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire drive errors

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:31:11AM -0400, Flint Heart wrote:
I'm also using smartd to monitor my disks now. hopefully I'll get a
heads up before a drive goes down (which i've heard you will
ususally get smart errors before the disk will actually go belly up
on you)

Smartd is good, but it appears only to work on internal drives. Is it
possible to make it work with external firewire drives? Inside their
enclosure they're still IDE.
But your system(where you'd be running smartd) doesn't know that and doesn't care. The only thing that it knows is that it talks to it via SCSI. This would be the case both for firewire and USB drives.

So, what is the equivalent of smartd for SCSI drives?......no, wait, the smartd manpage indicates that it does work with SCSI. It also says that it uses a drive's internal "Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART)". Could be that your enclosure, which translates the firewire encapsulated SCSI commands to IDE, does not support the set of SCSI commands required to invoke the SMART.

Not sure about firewire, but I know that on the USB world, a drive is not required to support more than about five commands. Those five are enough to report its capacity, indicate that it's ready (spun up), read and write. I would not be surprised if firewire requires the same SCSI subset as USB.

I'd recommend making contact with the firewire maintainers. They may have more experience with your enclosure and/or issues with Maxtor. The problem could be on the protocol level with your enclosure - your input could result in a more robust firewire drive driver.