Stephen Gran on 11 Jul 2006 00:18:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] firewire drive errors

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 01:24:38PM -0500, Greg Lopp said:
> Not sure about firewire, but I know that on the USB world, a drive is
> not required to support more than about five commands.  Those five are
> enough to report its capacity, indicate that it's ready (spun up), read
> and write.  I would not be surprised if firewire requires the same SCSI
> subset as USB.

The confusion here may result from the conflation of the transport layer
and the protocol layer.  Just like it is possible to use the protcol
tcp over several underlying transport layers (ethernet, atm, etc) it is
possible to use the SCSI protocol over several underlying transport layers
(firewire, usb, real scsi).  As far as the OS is concerned, a firewire
drive is a SCSI drive with a funny transport layer.  If the SCSI spec
doesn't support IDE add on hacks like smart (and I have no idea if it
does) then it won't be supported by the OS.

This is one of the reasons the linux IDE layer is a complete disaster,
while the SCSI layer is clean and Just Works(TM).  The SCSI spec is
vastly simpler.  libata promises to unify the IDE layer, but it will
still need many more workarounds and special cases than the SCSI layer.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Q: How do you stop an elephant from     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | charging? A: Take away his credit       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | cards.                                  |