Andrew Libby on 18 Jul 2006 12:29:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Useful Scripts?

I second nmap.  I use it to do audits and it's quite good.  One thing
that's kind
of nice is that you can do a scan of your network, and then output it in
XML format.
The nmap distribution comes with a xsl stylesheet that will format it as
html
pretty easily.

nmap [nmap options like -O] -oX output.xml 192.168.1.0/24
xsltproc /usr/share/nmap/nmap.xsl output.xml > output.html

The xsl location is based on RedHat/ Fedora RPMs.  Other distros may
drop it else where (or perhaps not at all?).    One thing I'm quite
interested
in pursuing is an intelligent diffing utility that will detect changes
to the
services offered by hosts, or the OS fingerprint, etc.

Anyone know of such things?

Andy