Jon Nelson on 3 Aug 2006 18:25:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] initrd/udev hell...again

sean finney wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:03:15PM -0400, Jon Nelson wrote:
>> Well I messed around with the GRUB shell and I have found that the
>> 'boot'
>> command appears to be the culprit.  That command boots the OS so is that
>> indicating that my kernel is hosed?
>
> possibly... the kernel, the initrd, or the bootloaders' ability to read
> in the kernel.  does the kernel load at all this way, or does it really
> just stop at the "boot" message?  if "quiet" is on the kernel cmdline,
> you should remove it.  if it does load up, where does it stop?  what
> options are being passed to the kernel?

Here is a GRUB entry:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.16-2-k7
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-2-k7 root=/dev/hda1 acpi=off noapci ro
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-2-k7
savedefault
boot

>From the GRUB website in describing 'boot':

    "Boot the OS or chain-loader which has been loaded..."

So I would think that it loads correctly.  I guess that points to the
initramfs' 'init' script.  The first line of which is:

    'echo "Loading, please wait..."'

Which I would think I would see but dont.

In comparison with another box that has a very similar set except it has
an Intel CPU, right after the 'boot' command I see 'Uncompressing Linux
Kernel'.  On the box that won't boot the last thing on the screen is
'boot'.  I have tried adding 'debug' to GRUB but it doesn't output any
clues.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jon