Art Alexion on 6 Nov 2006 20:31:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu questions

I had the problem more than a year ago.  First you have to enable the universe
and multiverse repositories.  They should be in your sources.list, but
commented out.  That will allow you to install the sun 1.5.x java.  Then, the
is a command that you issue that tells your system to use that version over
the blackdown 1.4.2.  I don't remember the command, but you should be able to
find it in the plug archives.

Works fine once you do this.

On Monday 06 November 2006 10:44, Jonathan Bringhurst wrote:
> Just so you know, manually installing java on any debian based os
> (ubuntu included) will probably cause you problems later on. You
> really want to use dpkg so you have more control and less conflicts
> with other stuff. The wiki explains how to do this.
>
> -Jon
>
> On 11/6/06, Jonathan Bringhurst <fintler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There's a big section on the wiki for this. Check out
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java. There's some issues with
> > licensing, so it's a bit of a pita.
> >
> > -Jon
> >
> > On 11/6/06, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> > > I've "rebuilt" my linux workstation - this time with an Asus
> > > A8V-VM and an Athlon 64 X2.  I put Ubuntu for x86_64 on it.
> > > Gnome gets some "getting used to" since I've been using KDE
> > > almost exclusively.
> > >
> > > There are two things that trouble me:
> > > 1.  I'm using Thunderbird.  When I install Enigmail (or try to)
> > > it tells me that it's not for the x86_64 architecture.  That's
> > > strange since in installed it in my SuSE x86_64 system.  Perhaps
> > > there's something that I need to install in Ubuntu to make it
> > > run non-x86_64 binaries?
> > >
> > > 2.  I need java.  When I type "java -version" it tells me that
> > > it's running java "1.4.2" - but not sun's java.  What is it that
> > > I'm getting?  An open-source implementation of Java?  If so then
> > > I need to un-install that and get the latest java from Sun or IBM.
> > > Is there an "apt-get" way of un-installing the java I have and
> > > getting the "real thing" or do I just use the SUN/IBM installer?
> > >
> > > Eric

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @