Jeff Abrahamson on 20 Dec 2006 15:12:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Remote Printing Question

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:41:23AM -0500, Ottey, Daniel William wrote:
>   [23 lines, 162 words, 1007 characters]  Top characters: etrinosh
>
> Here is my situation.  I am on a Windows XP PC that has a printer
> configured - either connected directly (USB) or available on my
> network.
>
> I SSH (using Putty) into a Linux server which has no printer
> attached or configured.  It also has no direct network access to my
> printer.
>
> I do not have root privileges on the Linux server.
>
> Is there any way that I can print to my printer from the Linux
> server?  My hope is that there is some feature available similar to
> the resource sharing now available in Terminal Server / Remote
> Desktop in Windows.
>
> Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I don't know Windows well enough to answer well, but I know unix well
enough to propose a possible solution.

<hack> Is it acceptable to open a port on the Windows box?  If so,
write a small perl/python/C/etc. program that listens on that port,
accepts stuff, and then hands what it gets to the native print
spooler.  If you know the IP number or range of your linux box, you
can restrict connections.

I do the equivalent (but more slickly) between linux boxes: on machine
bar, "foo-lpr" is a script that prints on machine foo by doing (from
bar) "ssh foo lpr" with stdin or the contents of a named file.  It was
much easier than setting up a secure remote printer.
</hack>

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287