Jeff Abrahamson on 6 Jan 2007 17:31:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Device ID coolness

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:00:54PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>   [22 lines, 171 words, 1043 characters]  Top characters: etsiodnh
>
> At Wednesday night's meeting I asked for suggestions on mounting USB
> devices like flash drives.  I thought I'd report back on how I made
> out.
>
> The problem seemed kind of tricky, because the device name the
> kernel uses can vary depending on whether any other USB devices are
> plugged in.  I was getting tired of editing /etc/fstab every time I
> tried to mount it to change /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc1.
>
> Someone at the meeting suggested that I look at device IDs.  That
> turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.  [...]

Very cool.

A quick and easy way to deal with this for nameable devices is to put
a label tag in /etc/fstab.  For example, these two lines in my /etc/fstab

    LABEL=backup400  /backup	xfs	rw,user		0	4
    LABEL=EOS_DIGITAL  /cflash	auto	rw,user,noauto	0	0

handle mounting an external firewire hard drive and a USB CF card
reader.  The first I named with mkfs -c, the second I know my camera
will always name properly.

Of course, your way is better, as is Steve's.  My way has only the
advantage that it saved me the few minutes to understand your way. ;-)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://jeff.purple.com/>          +1 215/837-2287