Stephen Gran on 6 Jan 2007 18:08:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Device ID coolness

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:31:32PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> A quick and easy way to deal with this for nameable devices is to put
> a label tag in /etc/fstab.  For example, these two lines in my /etc/fstab
>
>     LABEL=backup400  /backup	xfs	rw,user		0	4
>     LABEL=EOS_DIGITAL  /cflash	auto	rw,user,noauto	0	0
>
> handle mounting an external firewire hard drive and a USB CF card
> reader.  The first I named with mkfs -c, the second I know my camera
> will always name properly.

Now that udev, libata, and parallel module loading is the order of the
day, this is actually probably the way of the future.  Previously, we
had /dev/hd* for IDE and /dev/sd* for just about everything else (flash
cards, scsi disks, sata disks, etc).  With the new libata interface, the
kernel is going to start treating them all the same - I think they are
going to settle on the sd* names, but I can't rememeber.  And since
things like udev load modules in parallel rather than serially, it's
going to be a random event if your disks have the same enumeration from
boot to boot.

e2label has been my future proofing solution, although custom udev rules
are another way to do it.  I just don't want to have to rewrite my udev
rules when I add a new disk to an array, so I've decided that file
system labels are simplest for static permanent mounts like /.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The joys of love made her human and the |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | agonies of love destroyed her.   --     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Spock, "Requiem for Methuselah",        |
|                                | stardate 5842.8                         |