Matthew Rosewarne on 16 Jan 2007 06:22:28 -0000

Re: [PLUG] where do dey go-thanks

On Sunday 14 January 2007 15:03, jeff wrote:
> My favorite part of the interview is the look on their faces when I
> mention the Total Linux Desktop Rollout Project.  One guy shook his head
> then brightened up because he figured he could learn something.  One guy
> looked horribly shocked.  The other interviewers learned to humor me a
> long time ago (kinda like my wife).
>
> One of them is CIO.  He fails to get the benefit.  My old boss used to
> turn green.  For April Fools Day, I booted his computer from a Knoppix
> disk and told him we installed it permanently (over his XP).
>
> Mind you, the COO and CFO's eyes opened brightly when I said FREE
> OPERATING SYSTEM.  They wanted to know all about it.  Heh heh.  I told
> them their network monitoring systems were running on it.
>
> I'm gonna shoehorn linux in there somehow.  I was thinking about doing
> up a desktop or three to look like the Redmond Menace.  Maybe a minor
> file server or something.  So long as the Great Unwashed can access
> their spreadsheets and surf the web (don't ask me why, but
> nudeafrica.com comes up a lot in the stats), they should be ok.

There are definitely right and wrong ways to approach your C*O's, bosses, and
coworkers about using Linux or Free Software.  The ways to succeed at this
sort of thing are only partly technical, with the rest being much more
interpersonal or strategic.  If you haven't yet completed a linux desktop
effort for an organisation, you might wish to go to the PLUG IRC channel
(info @ PLUG website), I'm sure there are people there who can answer your
questions or give you pointers. Chat is probably a better medium for this
kind of thing than a mailing list since it's more immediate.  I personally am
also free to talk on Jabber or AIM and would be glad to help, send me an
email if you're interested.