Gabriel Farrell on 23 Feb 2007 15:08:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] BitTorrant and routers - and Comcast

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 10:04:32PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I thought when they broke up the phone companies this was suppose to work
> like out electric power does not - you pay for a generation supplier
> (selectable) and a distribution supplier (always PECO). This would be
> analogous to having Verizon supply a pipe to the internet provider of your
> choice. That is the way it should be.
>
> Sounds like a good class action suit. Where are the lawyers?
>
> Doug

The reason for this difference, and the difference between phone
service and cable (and FIOS, I believe) can be found in the Supreme
Court ruling in NCTA v. Brand X.  It's a good read [1], and I think
had more of an effect on network neutrality than anything called by
that name.  I found myself in agreement with Scalia -- something I
thought would never happen.

Gabe

[1] See the Brand X portion of
http://www.freepress.net/content/grokster_brandx