Lee Marzke on 27 Feb 2007 06:06:40 -0000

[PLUG] Putty and firewall piercing

I had a situation where I needed to publish software to a Web server in the DMZ, but
the firewall ( managed by a sister company ) only allowed proxyed requests ( port 80, 443 )
to the DMZ, and no SSH, FTP, or anything else.

Rather surprisingly I found that Putty includes a "proxy" tab in it's
configuration settings,  which does about the same thing as proxytunnel.

You might have to run a receiving SSH deamon on port 443 if the proxy is restrictive, but
other than that - Putty will then tunnel SSH right through the proxy. So outbound proxies
are really not that effective except in protecting the lusers.

Lee

begin:vcard
fn:Lee Marzke
n:Marzke;Lee