Art Clemons on 27 Feb 2007 12:01:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OpenWRT and covering a large area with wireless

WA3DSP:
> Technically I think you can run 1000 watts ERP on the amateur channels as
> a licensed ham. That could be a unity gain antenna and a 1KW amp
> (unlikely) or 1w with a 30db antenna gain. 20-30db gain is practical
> at that frequency. Anybody for moon bounce 802.11b ?? I think the phase
> shift would kill it. BTW don't look at or stand in front of an antenna at
> those gains and that frequency.

Nope, the rules allow 1000 watts output, there is no ERP limit on
amateur radio.  You could theoretically have one million watts ERP
legally.  consider hams who do moon bounce.  The real limits though are
those imposed by the limitations on automatic controlled digital
transmissions (it's poorly phrased and limts it to a bandwidth of 500
Hz, that's right half a KHz in  US CFR 47 part 97.221) and the
requirement that stations use the minimum possible power to carry out
communication.  RF safety considerations also likely crop up in any such
discussion and hams are required to ensure that the public is not
exposed to rf above a certain level.