sean finney on 27 May 2007 20:59:56 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

hi,

On Sunday 27 May 2007 22:38:40 Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I think there's an interesting point here.  If you have 2 drives
> /dev/hda and /dev/hdc in a software RAID 1 array, is there a way to
> install Grub such that if /dev/hda dies then the machine can boot off
> only /dev/hdc?  I would assume that "normally" Grub would only be
> installed to /dev/hda and would look for an initrd in /dev/hda
> somewhere, such that if /dev/hda failed then you wouldn't be able to
> boot off /dev/hdc -- at least until you connect it to the other drive
> cable, and/or until you reinstalled Grub.

afaik, grub doesn't handle raid so well, but lilo can be configured to boot
off of either of two available raid devices.  if you run the
debian-installer, it will automatically switch from grub to lilo if you setup
such a configuration.

typically i'll have /boot (or / if there isn't a seperate partition) on an md
device, and then a second md device configured for lvm with swap and all my
other partitions.

> Also, in the configurations that use separate (non-mirrored) swap
> partitions on both drives, I would assume that the boot sequence would
> bail if one of the swap partitions listed in /etc/fstab was not
> present, and drop you into single-user mode.

yeah, probably.  this is partly why i don't do this.  also, if the drive fails
while the system is running, there goes a chunk of your systems live memory.

> Does someone have a procedure that will make it so that if you have
> mirrored drives like in this example, and the first one dies or is
> removed, you can just power up with the second drive only and *no*
> changes and the OS will boot fully (though granted, probably griping
> that the RAID set is broken)?  Or maybe that would never be possible
> because maybe if the RAID set it broken it won't let you boot into a
> regular read/write mode?

if you use something like what i mentioned above, the system will function
completely normally.  actually, you might not know there's even a problem
unless you look (which is actually a problem in and of itself).

	sean