Antony P Joseph on 27 May 2007 21:58:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux (Debian) and raid

Hi

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 22:59 +0200, sean finney wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Sunday 27 May 2007 22:38:40 Aaron Mulder wrote:
> > I think there's an interesting point here.  If you have 2 drives
> > /dev/hda and /dev/hdc in a software RAID 1 array, is there a way to
> > install Grub such that if /dev/hda dies then the machine can boot off
> > only /dev/hdc?  I would assume that "normally" Grub would only be
> > installed to /dev/hda and would look for an initrd in /dev/hda
> > somewhere, such that if /dev/hda failed then you wouldn't be able to
> > boot off /dev/hdc -- at least until you connect it to the other drive
> > cable, and/or until you reinstalled Grub.

Is it reasonable to put boot image in the raid there by causing
unnecessary requirements on the boot loader?
  1. A small boot loader has to recognize the raid  etc..
   Boot image is used only once at boot time before the next boot.
   If you are booting the device again, you have plenty of time to put
another backup drive of boot device in place.

With  regards
Antony