Art Alexion on 14 Jun 2007 20:52:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] VPN

On Thursday, 14 June 2007 15:29, jeff wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > Sorry if this is too vague.  I will try to get more info if needed.
>
> We're looking at a similar situation at work.
> We have a pair of allegedly proprietary VPNs.  We have software for
> both, but naturally they're Windows-only (even though one uses a browser).

That's how this one works.  You log in with a browser.  It takes you to a page
that looks like it wants to be a directory tree.  That part works with
Firefox/Linux.

You download a tiny executable called something like "MapNetworkDrives.exe"
MapNetworkDrives.exe looks to see if you are logged in at the browser and
enables drive mapping to the browser interface.

The exe is simple.  It is stand alone in the sense that it doesn't need to be
installed.  It requires a DLL that doesn't come with the stock wine package,
but is available for download and once copied to
~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system runs fine in Linux via wine.  The problem is
that it can't tell that Firefox is logged in.  My gut feeling at this point
is that it is not just windows-only, but IE only.  I am going to try to
install one of the wine-base IE packages and see if I can do it that way.

> The first thing seems to be to find out if the VPN is a `standard' VPN
> (whatever that means).  If this is true, you *should* be able to connect
> with most VPN clients (given the correct connection info, of course). I
> figure I'll use this info to use the VPN with linux.
>
> Of course it appears that I know approximately as much as you do or
> less, so you should treat everything I say as suspect :)

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @