Malcolm on 9 Aug 2007 16:27:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast Biz?

On Thursday 09 August 2007 11:22:58 am LeRoy Cressy wrote:

> I have been following this list and I have not noticed any reference to
> using http://www.unixshell.com/ or http://www.tektonic.net/ services.
> They are cheap with a static IP for hosting mail and web servers.

> Unix Shell gives you your choice of Linux distribution and it is up to
> you to install what you need.

Unix Shell isn't taking new customers at the moment.

Tektonic is, but provides fewer options for your distribution. I've been
running on a fixed bandwidth VM at tektonic for a couple of months and it's
been stable, reliable and cheap. (It was actually cheaper to host with them
and get Verizon residential DSL than my previous static IP DSL with DCA.net,
which I couldn't take with me when I moved).

If you're running something memory or bandwidth hungry, the prices go up for
more resources (reasonably enough), but I have a fixed 2Mbit/s bandwidth,
512Mb RAM and 20Gb drive space allocation for $28/month. (They do different
packages, so you have have higher burst rate with total usage caps, etc).

Their tech support has been friendly and helpful, to the extent I've used
them.