Brent Saner on 10 Sep 2007 20:12:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:11:59 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=6tDmtVdOPkUFgJ/MlOmnZe/N4y5+S2sqcqIi3Bzu22g=; b=WAg26II8TDfcgJgx6ZLh4PB9yeTcpLkBNizz2Aa0Y2GKfUtjnMDFvnWcNO2M0jiGUrJ490nsC7TAoyNFZGoaGghqNyYjrEe0sGwBQPfWQz51rNx/gw48x2TztlwRLffpsFipfT99R4ZJ1zZ618Y1cEwp/R1PeHzslkGQ3PhJ4V0=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

aha! we've narrowed it down! it's DEFINITELY, in full confidence, a software problem and your xorg.conf is to blame.
(this is why i backup certain configs..such as xorg..before updating. X easily breaks)

you don't have a copy of the old xorg.conf, pre-update, do you? if so, you could do a diff on them and see what changed...

On 9/10/07, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Monday 10 September 2007 13:10:35 Brent Saner wrote:
> that sounds like a sync prob. either your monitor is going or (more likely)
> the update borked your xorg.conf.

My conclusion is the latter as the monitor is connected via kvm to a winxp and
a feisty box along with this gutsy box.  No problems with xp nor X on Feisty.
Once I upgraded the feisty box so that I could use the current release of
evolution, the problem appeared there also.

> you can try running dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server (i think that's the
> package) or xorgconfig etc. etc....there's multiple ways to reconfig your
> xorg.conf

dpkg-reconfigure xorg ran silently, i.e. with no interactive input.  It
resulted in X refusing to start.  I copied back the xorg.conf backup file to
get back in but the band is still there.

> i always advise people to do this when checking hardware. throw in a
> knoppix disc- if the black band is still there, it's a hardware problem.

I did that before posting.  No problems with knoppix.

> check your connections and if they're all tight, i'd say it's your display
> and you'd be better off getting a new monitor

I don't think its a hardware problem.

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)