Brian Stempin on 18 Sep 2007 19:15:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] personal finance application

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] personal finance application
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:15:28 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=ym2vBr8kl/LIDilO/XrubMQb+fSpG8FNrvARKs90KWE=; b=i2Y9bH/TMcGuL3k+LhiCKGEfoxsiQIIGSHG0UwwPyxiobC6BGdq1JHm0/rqbQD3yekNw5fqjK+Xz3LF1gyE36d/BdXtMUFyGsXYvX8G1jCJD52RHPXX1r6K6D8ywRDINzIt5p9VPw5RFyFXzhQ+sBqjp8lH7KQfC8j2lwt2NOiw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I'd love to find a web-based one so my wife and I can both use it from
anywhere. But haven't found such a thing yet.

http://tuxbank.sourceforge.net/
It's kinda crappy (no imports, etc), but it's perfect if all you're looking for is an on-line check register.

On 9/18/07, Douglas Muth <doug.muth@gmail.com> wrote:
On 9/18/07, Chad Vogelsong <csv@gamebox.net> wrote:

> I've found the applications below and am just looking for opinions on
> use.  Who thinks which one is better and why?  If anybody has other
> suggestions, I would be happy to add it to the list.
>
> Grisbi - OSS
> Moneydance - $30 / Non OSS
> KMyMoney - OSS
> GNUCash - OSS

Of those, I've only used GNUCash.  I haven't tried the others, because
GNUCash has met my needs.  Specifically, it does everything in
double-entry accounting format.  If you're cool with double entry
accounting, then I think you'll get a lot out of GNUCash.  It also
lets you schedule regular transactions, and split up transactions
between multiple accounts.

Finally, GNUCash lets you reconcile past transactions, so that you can
check items off as they appears on your credit card statement (or bank
statement) and verify that the reconciled balance matches the balance
on the statement.  I've been able to catch credit card items not
charged/checks not cashed this way.

-- Doug