Soren Harward on 18 Sep 2007 19:57:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] personal finance application

  • From: "Soren Harward" <sth@freeshell.org>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] personal finance application
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:57:52 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=JqeaBskCQ1fXtEQQkqWLUqn/sixF20hwHx/zyx54OKY=; b=Goq+Q3HkMJYrIo9k+AXL61GtNOP/yHVpgs9cxgbj2uvwXnd8hha7DrUrIvymTPuuvqbnQ8J5hSGH5fDFsA0K2yD4BGNt+PApj03nqdLsd7ijth5Ko1blY0SMtoLa62IWGkxdEw39fibe4zCHpHJ9dM8kaRiibmYN16vCes59ofY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 9/18/07, Chad Vogelsong <csv@gamebox.net> wrote:
> I've found the applications below and am just looking for opinions on
> use.  Who thinks which one is better and why?  If anybody has other
> suggestions, I would be happy to add it to the list.

I've been using Gnucash for about three years now.  "Double-entry
bookkeeping" sounds intimidating, but it takes all of about 20 minutes
to learn, Gnucash does 90% of the work for you, and the practice pays
off big time when you decide to do any kind of analysis, budgeting, or
forecasting.

The only major complaint I have against Gnucash: it doesn't manage
securities (eg, stocks) very well.  It will keep track of them, and
can even download share prices from Yahoo finance.  But calculating
capital gains/losses is a headache.  The programmers keep saying that
they're working on this part of the program, but so far, the
badly-needed enhancements haven't showed up.  If you do a lot of
securities trading and want to track it in detail, then you're going
to want something besides Gnucash.

--
Soren Harward