Art Alexion on 20 Sep 2007 17:09:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] personal finance application

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 13:36:51 Douglas Muth wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Chad Vogelsong <csv@gamebox.net> wrote:
> > I've found the applications below and am just looking for opinions on
> > use.  Who thinks which one is better and why?  If anybody has other
> > suggestions, I would be happy to add it to the list.
> >
> > Grisbi - OSS
> > Moneydance - $30 / Non OSS
> > KMyMoney - OSS
> > GNUCash - OSS
>
> Of those, I've only used GNUCash.  I haven't tried the others, because
> GNUCash has met my needs.  Specifically, it does everything in
> double-entry accounting format.  If you're cool with double entry
> accounting, then I think you'll get a lot out of GNUCash.  It also
> lets you schedule regular transactions, and split up transactions
> between multiple accounts.
>
> Finally, GNUCash lets you reconcile past transactions, so that you can
> check items off as they appears on your credit card statement (or bank
> statement) and verify that the reconciled balance matches the balance
> on the statement.  I've been able to catch credit card items not
> charged/checks not cashed this way.

I've used GNUCash and KMyMoney2.  For personal finance, I prefer kmm.  GNUCash
has more features and adheres better to strict accounting standards -- it is
better for business -- but kmm has a much better interface if it does what
you want.

I read your subject and the words "personal finance" and conclude kmm.  It has
an import for QIF, and the developers participate heavily in the user list
for support.  I've seen the implement a simple request in SVN overnight.
Other things, which are business and not personal oriented, they resist.

It can connect with your bank if your bank supports quicken.  It supports pgp
encryption for your data.

It can't print checks (because they currently don't have a developer to
implement it and few users on the list care -- the question has only come up
twice in as many years -- because for personal finance, people aren't writing
that many checks anymore).

Think of it this way: If you used quicken, go kmm; if you used quickbooks, go
gnucash.

gnucash is much more powerful and feature-rich, but has a pretty clunky
interface for personal finance.