Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Oct 2007 18:18:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Alms for the Poor

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Brent Saner wrote:
> you bet shorts can fry a processor. doesn't happen often, but i've seen it.
> it all depends how far the shorted current goes and what causes the short.
> if it's dirty/bad power, it's usually PSU->CPU->mobo's components
>
> so it's possible you'll have to replace both of them, matt. what're your
> power requirements? i think i have a spare ATX PSU for 300 watts...i'd have
> to check and see 1. if i can find it, and 2. the wattage on it.

I've tested the PSU with a multimeter and it's rock steady, so it's not the
PSU.  That leaves the CPU or mobo at the problem.  I don't think there's much
point in moving motherboards around, but I suppose if it makes someone more
comfortable, I could also bring _my_ CPU to plug into another mobo instead.