Brent Saner on 4 Oct 2007 17:57:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Alms for the Poor

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Alms for the Poor
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:57:44 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=YqEC8G4FWhMQoQskcqWWvlk8CKVyiGUljuHwmpeNjp4=; b=DXoXetGiyoasFJGiqogWiqDkhpGO0Bi5TbZHuPuDME+/0Ftf4qKF5cJ7706wSxU7Jsj+mI0mbR4p199Ca1v5jmmMf3L0HEjyuZQTDJbWR5h/97Rpq+vX+TE5Sgzl9BYGu1+LslF9KUJWiX4tP/dtXw5qsEntV38c0TPVEOjili4=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

you bet shorts can fry a processor. doesn't happen often, but i've seen it. it all depends how far the shorted current goes and what causes the short. if it's dirty/bad power, it's usually PSU->CPU->mobo's components

so it's possible you'll have to replace both of them, matt. what're your power requirements? i think i have a spare ATX PSU for 300 watts...i'd have to check and see 1. if i can find it, and 2. the wattage on it.

On 10/4/07, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
On Thursday 04 October 2007 00:11:58 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> After removing almost everything save the CPU and power
> supply, I've figured it's either the CPU or the motherboard. I don't
> actually know, though, and everything is well out of warranty. I need to
> replace one of them, but I'm not sure which one, and I really don't want to
> have to buy both if I can help it.
>
> So my plea: Does anyone have (or know someone who has) a socket-F Opteron
> that they would be willing to lend me to help me troubleshoot this? It
> would really help me no end.

I have a carcass sitting around with a similar problem in my basement.  My
question, and why I have done anything with it, is can a shorted motherboard
cause damage to to the cpu?  That's the fear I've had with just replacing the
CPU.

Brent Saner
215.264.0112 (cell)
215.362.7696(residence)