zuzu on 6 Oct 2007 01:57:22 -0000

Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 21:57:19 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=ycjajRsKoB2TaZw037P/wMSUs9uHUU5CNwu/L/VGTIk=; b=huMIT1yB7e2PZqkwwdIgJasfFVECgOYjNatK3B/01kuiNC19p1DxbLVVTrMm00Iq0t1Pmga5/KF1ZzeEggZVtfIuhiXmf6FGk2DX2BAuvs4Z4SizPjsVAh8pPu9ElUWtY28YvA8V2DzeWKQmSClYmcFg2qQVvvZm9ydxXTi2cNk=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/5/07, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. does speakeasy provide hardware? is there any proprietary necessary
> stuff? ( i.e. verizon fi-os "HIGHLY DISCOURAGES" you to use your own router.
> this is because the ones they provide have patched firmware that lets them
> jack into your router. my GUESS is to upgrade the firmware when it needs it,
> but who the hell KNOWS what they're really doing)

I got FiOS early on, about two years ago now, I think; long before
they offered television service.

my first installer "tech guy" was cool about letting me use my own
router (DD-WRT) rather than the crap D-Link one; it connects with
PPPoE just like their ADSL service did.  he even was the first person
to tell me about the miranda web100 bandwidth testing site (
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/ ) to prove I was really getting 15/2
Mbps (down/up).

when I added the TV service, the new installer "tech guy" gave me the
Actiontec router, and it's still in the same unopened box as when he
handed it to me.  I'm not interested in DRM'd (i.e. encrypted) content
(which I don't pay for) nor "on demand" service, and I can get EPG
data from third parties.  (plus the aforementioned issue of a possible
"rootkit" router on my LAN; talk about a "backdoor" from the earlier
"open wireless" thread.)

I would agree that the way Verizon now rolls out MoCA rather than
standard CAT-5e (or ideally CAT-6) is quite proprietary (I haven't
seen any publicly sold MoCA equipment, have you?) and thus rather
malicious towards naive customers, however.  I'd love for a hacker
community to reverse-engineer exactly what's going on with the FiOS
implementation of MoCA, such as sending EDTV content to other rented
receiver boxes in the house, or precisely how variant their IPTV
service is.

anyone out there renting the Verizon HD DVR have info on who
manufactures the box (Scientific Atlanta?) and whether it's possible
to read video off the Firewire port using the DVHS protocol?

(I'm sure this thread could easily overlap with ones on the AVSforum website.)