Brent Saner on 5 Oct 2007 23:40:22 -0000

Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: nothing to do with: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:39:54 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=eJ1fBmIOLUMUcNxGGV6nEqthLJX8GMCoFaxVOgkbP6o=; b=LbkfiSOX5Rtydm2KSV53HDh51doUoAQgmHzbECcx2c+XbfOwt91XNjnZmW7X7Co5jntaqZhrnZuLrdctMUx+XHigSleqBFEXpTnH0enOmCYAISzGGpNvNa+1x4FwuSUwfJKrC4dfc9TZ4Hw55Zucf7WJEjSYRxcNWlB2284pR30=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

1. i second you on the spelling mistakes. i noticed none in the quote.

2. BURN! let's just keep all criticism off-list from now on. that goes for everyone

3. does speakeasy provide hardware? is there any proprietary necessary stuff? ( i.e. verizon fi-os "HIGHLY DISCOURAGES" you to use your own router. this is because the ones they provide have patched firmware that lets them jack into your router. my GUESS is to upgrade the firmware when it needs it, but who the hell KNOWS what they're really doing)

On 10/5/07, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
At 2007-10-03 00:28 -0400, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> You must not have been with them back in 2001. When the Trades
> went down my SLA 1.5/1.5 SDSL line dropped to  <128k/128k.  They
> expected me to stay with them. I had to fight them up and down until
> they finally gave up the ghost. Went with XO had no problems even
> through their bankruptcy.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Speakeasy. My
experience with them differed from yours through two installed
locations and 9 years. They're the best bandwidth provider I've ever
dealt with, privately or professionally, and I have dealt with more
than a few in each case.

> Look you seem like a very intelligent person Gabe, I have but two
> words for you; spell checker, please.  All those red lines hurt my
> eyes :).

I'm tolerant of your failure to end lines at a reasonable character
width (< 80) and I avoided singling you out over tofu email when I
most recently mentioned it in passing, but I refuse to take even
joking responsibility because you've chosen to use an MUA that
irritates you and then bitch at me over it.

I don't use spell-checkers because they're unreliable (valid, but
wrong, word). I've been a bit lax in my proof-reading lately, but I
count... zero misspellings in the text you quote, which I'll
replicate here for reference:

>   Again I do, as I have often before, recommend Speakeasy. I am, much
>   to my irritation, no longer a customer, as Covad doesn't service the
>   CO at my new address, but they have an explicit policy on sharing
>   Internet connections they provide, which runs roughly like this:
>   "please do, and tell us about it so that we can publicise its
>   location to other Speakeasy customers".

What do you believe that I misspelled there? (Or did you accept
corrections on it, rather than simplying removing the unnecessarily
quoted text?)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net