Art Alexion on 9 Oct 2007 17:42:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: Ubuntu 7.10 on Optiplex with i810 video

On Friday 05 October 2007 14:55:28 JP Vossen wrote:
>  my main video problem now is
> that in 1280x1024@60 (wide screen LCD), 5 or 10 pixes are cut off the
> very top of the display.  No amount of auto-adjusting or fiddling with
> the LCD has made a difference, and this mode worked as expected with the
> same hardware under Dapper.  It looks odd, but I can live with it.

1280 x 1024 is the resolution I am using with a standard 4:3 screen.

When I connected a 16:9 widescreen to dapper about a year ago, I went nuts
trying to edit xorg.conf to add 16:9 resolutions.  None worked and, among
other things,  I experienced the same problem you report (depending on the
resolution I was trying.  I made a call to the screen manufacturer and the
tech suggested 1024 x 768 (another not wide screen resolution) and it worked
perfectly.  I think there is some translation in the monitor that lets you
pick 4:3 resolutions and it converts them to wide screen 16:9.  Trying real
16:9 resolutions confuses this translation.