zuzu on 10 Oct 2007 11:20:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:20:37 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=r1SPcfhXWrpWBTanyZ57CW5QrtwRgSkStXblvCm8T5c=; b=k6Ku2Ifvop4QrcUSQzDrwD9LB1nPBBogGEIRq7hLZOGJF7LXt0M+oV2Bc/mY/VOo5hA0f4v1hZu28+atuLpUAR0Z1IHHHA3Mh+8RVeUcKxRGq7T1MfZ7jLFz0Wvb9LiWUbfe1KuzRmUoxrkL5TADhONRXSSgjIWxzeeiejVvJhE=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/10/07, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not planning to do anything out of the ordinary with the macbook.
> Just use it to play vids, pictures, and surf the web. Also, to use it to
> connect to work, which uses a Java based interface.

my experience has been, as I attempted to illustrate, that just doing
web browsing, email, IM, and a few "office apps" on top of that will
easily use 4GB of RAM.  nothing "out of the ordinary".

> However, I would like to have atleast 2GB. I want to get 1GB at first, and
> upgrade later.
>
> When is leapord supposed to come out?

in two weeks and two days from now.

> I want something latest, since I am
> spending close to $1500.

supposedly the MacBook hardware update/refresh is happening in January
if you can wait that long.

> should I get the Apple extended warranty, is it worth it?

yes.  the hardware will break (especially the power adapter on the DC
side) and you'll want it fixed; even the cheapest out-of-warranty
repair is more than the $150 or whatever for applecare.  (ok, except
the power adapter is about $80, but you'll go through like 3 of those
at least during the 3 years of applecare.)