John Von Essen on 17 Oct 2007 18:10:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

Broadband users will always have difficulty sending email out to the internet.

Either the ISP is blocking port 25 outbound - in which case it wont work at all, or your email does get delivered, but is blocked as spam since you are coming from a known dynamic IP used for broadband customers.

The DUL blacklists are very widely used, and are a staple in the war against spam since legitimate email should not be originated from an MTA on a residential broadband connection. Some orgs are more aggressive then others with their blocking tactics for DUL email origination.

The solution is simple, use the SMTP relay server of your ISP (Comcast, Verizon DSL, CavTel, etc.,.). That SMTP server has been designed to accept mail from all customers, and will then relay the message out to the internet - no longer suffering DUL spam scores, etc.,.

In sendmail, it is set as the "Smart Host" relay option in sendmail.cf. In Debian with exim it is the dc_smarthost var.

-John