jondz on 18 Oct 2007 18:00:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 11:37 +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:52:37AM -0400, jondz said:
> >
> > Would the reverse dns be a requirement though.  there must be a lot of
> > virtual hosts out there sharing ip addresses.
>
> Yes, it really is.  Since it's trivial to set up smarthost arrangements
> for machines without working rDNS, I'm not sure why people make such a
> fuss.
>
> Look, don't get me wrong - I've run my own MX at the end of my adsl for
> years.  But I have always carefully chosen ISPs that explictly allowed
> this sort of thing, and would set rDNS for me.  If you're with comcast
> or verizon, and they won't set rDNS for you, then you shouldn't even
> bother trying to deliver mail directly - it will just be too unreliable.
> Smarthost through your ISPs relays, set up smarthosting through one of
> the millions of free services out there, whatever.

Hmm.  I'm sure my isp will reverse dns too, i just didnt bother.  Maybe
its time to call them up and refresh my dns skills also.   I've set up
my zone 4 years ago and hardly change my dns records and I never thought
the reverse on the mx was necessary.  not that i lost any email (that i
know of, hahah)

jondz