Stephen Gran on 18 Oct 2007 10:37:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:52:37AM -0400, jondz said:

> Would the reverse dns be a requirement though.  there must be a lot of
> virtual hosts out there sharing ip addresses.

Yes, it really is.  Since it's trivial to set up smarthost arrangements
for machines without working rDNS, I'm not sure why people make such a
fuss.

Look, don't get me wrong - I've run my own MX at the end of my adsl for
years.  But I have always carefully chosen ISPs that explictly allowed
this sort of thing, and would set rDNS for me.  If you're with comcast
or verizon, and they won't set rDNS for you, then you shouldn't even
bother trying to deliver mail directly - it will just be too unreliable.
Smarthost through your ISPs relays, set up smarthosting through one of
the millions of free services out there, whatever.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Many are called, few are chosen.  Fewer |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | still get to do the choosing.           |