Brent Saner on 18 Oct 2007 04:04:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:04:24 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=9liq8nbHPoKWsJkFmP+cAps8oOMSx3zr/sMGuoBJgdk=; b=RpQuDpMC5eaJ4IkBo7EAnqDzF/fXUEBU99rtjBZpMM4N1V7XW/OApEL4GZ4QVAPIQVhkH7c7V2UwbHYWxnIO2K8rRorckiebC1w7cdGDiwERDzE71/bo782ba+JIPU7KYzKVmJY84tXrYhC1I0KD92d0erKtGutX7Vg576kmbdU=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

you're vastly focusing on the business model here.
residental (and even some small businesses) mail servers don't get the amount of spam to where it becomes unmanageable (trust me on that. used to work for a little tech shop that AFAIK didn't have any filtering at the ISP level. the admin set up a bayesian and spam assassin and we rarely saw more than one spam every two days if that.)

it all has to do with being smart about it. publicly displaying a direct e-mail is a no-no. using an e-mail addy you don't want spam to get to for a mailing list is a no-no (because many mailing lists, such as PLUG, publicly archive- as they should. but crawlers find e-mail addys from this). you should have at least one e-mail account in which you don't care what goes to it (preferrably at the hosting of another; gmail or yahoo, etc.) and one personal e-mail account that you only give out on a one-on-one basis.