JP Vossen on 27 Oct 2007 01:03:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] non-nerdy ... a non-rant

> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:19:26 -0400
> From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
> Subject: [PLUG] non-nerdy  ... a non-rant
>
> a fellow traveler just mentioned a backup program being for non-nerds.
>
> I recently went on a quest for backup programs.  Naturally there was a
> twist or three: lin/win would be nice, but mainly I wanted to FTP the
> result offsite automatically.  Believe it or not, that did not knock
> *every* backup program out of contention... just most of them.

<snip>

Not a 100% answer to your specific criteria, but some may be close enough. I highly recommend the book, it tries to address all of the backup related issues and questions you mentioned.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596102463/index.html
	http://backupcentral.com/

Windows (<=2G free): http://mozy.com/ Linux: http://rsync.net/

Pull for both Windows and Linux, no FTP but if you can arrange to pull from the place you'd have ftp'd to, maybe... Web GUI for many but not all tasks, depending on the version you're using.
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

:-)
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.