Elizabeth Bevilacqua on 6 Nov 2007 16:48:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] passing the virtual hat

On 11/6/07, bergman@merctech.com <bergman@merctech.com> wrote:
> Can you please clarify something for me? I appreciate PLUG, but I'm not clear on
> why you're asking for donations for domain registrations. In an age of $7/year
> domain registrations (www.godaddy.com, for example), what are these donations
> for? Are you soliciting money to pay for hosting/colo costs? You may want to
> change the wording on the request, because it does sound a bit off.

Every few years we ask members to donate a few bucks to cover that
"just $7/year" cost[0]. For 3 domains, even at $7/year that's $21/year
and when we renew the domains we like to do it for a few years. The
last time we did this we gathered enough to register for 4 years.
Instead of us informal admins of PLUG paying for it every year, we
give other members the opportunity to pitch in. Please don't feel any
sort of obligation to contribute.

Hosting is already covered.

[0] We actually pay a bit more since we're registered through
gandhi.net - a company which is very vocal in their support and use of
Debian

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com