Marty Skitch on 9 Nov 2007 11:22:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

As a consultant I go to different clients and they provide a computer.  So how do I get my mail?  I use all portable apps (http://portableapps.com/).   OK so all my clients are M$ but I have all the apps I use a 2 Gig thumbdrive.  I use putty to ssh into my box at home (via port 443 it's always open) and tunnel everything through the ssh connection.  All my mail is on the thumbdrive and I can go from computer to computer without a problem.  Hope that helps.

Marty

jeff wrote:
George A. Theall wrote:

Have you considered using fetchmail to grab the mail from the main box,
storing it centrally, and then running an IMAP server on that?

I was trying to avoid running a server but might, if there's no other
way.  Does Fetchmail work with a POP isp?  I have obviously never run it.