Art Alexion on 10 Nov 2007 18:24:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] lm-sensors & knoppix

I forgot to mention that this machine neither belongs to me nor the person who
brought it in to me, so I can only guess the history.

On Thursday, 08 November 2007 15:05, Brent Saner wrote:
> On Nov 8, 2007 2:04 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
>  I am trying to diagnose what is wrong with an older NetVista desktop that
> (1) thinks it has a bad fan, and (2) can't find the OS.  These are "I
> refuse to boot" messages in series.
>
> 1. have you ever replaced the fan?

I doubt it, but the fans on both the power supply and CPU are working.  Are
they working at the designed speed?  That's what I wanted lm-sensors for.

> 2. when was the last time you flashed your BIOS?

Again, I am going to guess, never.

> 3. is a HDD hooked up? if so, is it possibly bad? look for it in /dev in
> knoppix. the controller board (the electronics on the back of the HDD) may
> have shorted.

Knoppix sees the HDD, but before I could try to mount it, I rebooted for some
reason.  This time, the bios couldn't find the HDD nor the CD-ROM.  Heat
issue?  An emergency pushed this machine off the workbench, so I couldn't
test it again after it cooled.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @