Brian Stempin on 14 Nov 2007 16:06:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] drive testing

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] drive testing
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:06:40 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=uNmm95wZkZOeBUUnDwq/YMULPRPof7Oj7vYKBwI6Roo=; b=maVl57R7+FRu9o5zJcQriVyHpfNGw67W2THY3YJUQQ0XeOyP0Djgibq7Yrzjc1Es5gSjW4fTgt5J/NuW3G6IpXuoVL37jQshKZmufi+bElcr8aC1deuOv9O3rSOndcRO/WHU9cdkxOHXWzw0dgdqO38IsWdUBX6wPVDA/Efwdko=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Usually that sounds indicates that the drive heads are beating against a post.  I would immediately back everything up.

If you can prove to HP that the drive is dead, they'll let you just ship back the drive as opposed to shipping the entire laptop.  Usually, their diagnosis procedure is to use the HD test utility that is embedded into the BIOS.  I would start by using that to see if the drive fails.