Matthew Rosewarne on 25 Nov 2007 23:48:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: PLUG Political Party Poll

On Sunday 25 November 2007, mdecheser@comcast.net wrote:
> I resisted writing a caustic reply to your rather intolerant reaction to my
> msg (I'm assuming it was my msg that set you off since you didn't reply
> Brian's initial posting), so I'll simply state that the tag "OT" in the
> subject line of the e-mails should be sufficient enough for you to manually
> filter whatever content you don't want to read.

While don't expect the filter comment wes *entirely* serious, he has a valid
point.  Regardless of the level interest in socio-political issues, the PLUG
is meant to be a safe harbour to talk Linux.  When you bring in unrelated
societal issues, it makes PLUG yet another place for people to grind their
own personal axes and inhibits the valuable Linux/FOSS discussion.  While
posting such things isn't exactly "forbidden", it is certainly quite rude.

Imagine going into a business meeting and shouting about baseball teams.  The
people there will be interrupted, so their intended discussion topic will get
sidetracked and everybody's time will be wasted.  Naturally, you can expect
many people to not be pleased with you for doing that, as its highly
inconsiderate.