zuzu on 26 Nov 2007 08:55:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon port blocking?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 03:55:02 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=QMIEH6wzWDYumaJbLfPsJoe6VT4edzSvydMulZ/EKok=; b=YdYlA14NgSRByJNzrpcCWJiG2ChO7Cf9LADa7a9gix7pYsrP7GpIBUWnb+xKQPIoyCEov0XKPiBR1qb7+bvpGOpY6TMSuDEcJZ7LW0WwGiBvE58ViiEYPoV1ne71/RceygOp4nfN7JW/2l08b4c0TebQ+ggywFbYvmQiQQMWRxQ=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On Nov 26, 2007 3:35 AM, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'll try. :)
> i don't know the specifics but i do know that 80 inbound (web) and 25
> outbound (mail) are definitely blocked, as these are the only two verizon
> explicitly states. others i'd strongly imagine are blocked are indeed 21 (as
> well as 20) (ftp), 23 (telnet), 22 (ssh), 3389 (windows rdp), 69 (tftp), 113
> (ident..what you'd find in IRC ident. systems), and a lot of others.

I use SSH regularly, and FTP to archive.org works last I checked.

> i do know that compared to comcast, for instance, there have been stories of
> substantially more blocked ports with verizon fios.

I'd like to read these stories, since I've generally heard the
reverse.  (well, that is, I've heard plenty of bitching about comcast,
but so far not much about FiOS.)  then again, empirical testing does
seem much more on point.

despite upgrading to 15/15 (symmetric), I haven't yet observed my
upstream increase with scp.  I haven't yet confirmed whether the
bottleneck happens to be my remote server (i.e. other users) or
whether symmetric internet comes with a string attached of packet
shaping for either the default ssh port or ssh-encrypted content in
general.  unfortunately, dreamhost throttles their scp bandwidth too
(I think users are supposed to use s/ftp for that) so that's not a
viable test.

or it's so "new" that verizon still doesn't really have the
implementation yet.  or there's some kind of misconfiguration since my
ONT is from when FiOS was very first deployed.