Art Alexion on 28 Nov 2007 14:45:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Entering extended characters in Linux

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 17:27:43 Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> For setting the Compose key, it's probably a better idea to let XKB handle
> it instead of xmodmap, since it has predefined rules to make it behave
> properly. To set the compose key to the left Windows key, you add this line
> to the keyboard section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>     Option     Â"XkbOptions"  Â"compose:lwin"
>
> OR, you can put a script in ~/.xsession.d/ to set the option with
> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂsetxkbmap -option compose:lwin
>
> OR, if you use KDE, you can have KDE set it for you on startup by opening
> the Control Centre, going to "Regional & Accessibility" -> "Keyboard
> Layout". The compose (and many other) options are in the "Xkb options" tab.

I got xmodmap working fine.  Seems my problem was that Xorg changed the
compose sequences.

à used to be compose, e, '
now its
compose, ', e

I didn't think it was working because the old sequences didn't work.  On my
dapper machine at home, Â was compose, s, s.  I can also use compose, s, o.
But on Gutsy its compose, o, s.  I don't know what they were trying to
accomplish by changing this, but I assume I'll figure out the sequences for
the stuff I actually use before long.

I also took a belt and suspenders approach and put the xmodmap command in the
~/.kde/Autostart directory and made the change via the KDE control panel.

> A while back, I had enough difficulty figuring out what the various Compose
> sequences were, so I took the Compose mapping file and manually created an
> HTML page from it. ÂIt's not finished, and it uses some hardcoded fonts,
> but it is somewhat helpful. ÂI'll pass it along, since I haven't seen
> anything like it elsewhere.

Funny, I started the same thing after first discovering the compose key.  I
stopped half way.  I can send you my progress if you want to work from there.
Mail me offlist.