K.S. Bhaskar on 5 Dec 2007 16:32:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FYI: Open Office Review

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] FYI: Open Office Review
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:32:29 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=DOWYI9TjwyJdrFQUBZGU7JDmw2vI0pNVm5pLL5lAGgc=; b=RfXpMzy039LS9+92baRdmPkwcodXCiTbx3pKQ3brs0ov1hNsQ1M6JV2axvJj5ihEh3pRWYwyNr3ZKrE4SPjCx7Sb+NW7SVrj5NmffxrNN7jSfkBXO5ndo5iQJnOBgK4Gx5PV3IjelVDMjeNAbD3O3GUZBr8p8bIHsL1Bk+lpH8Y=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Aaraon --

OK, you put me on the spot.  Over the years, I have adopted some work
habits to avoid the quicksand.

0. If it has to look right (presentations to executives, customers), I
use M$Office.

1. You're right about the bullets.  I just chose some bullets that I
judged to be least intrusive on Windows, and people just assume I am
being eccentric in my choice of bullet, rather than concluding that I
am rightminded in my choice of computing platform.

2. I distribute documents in PDF.  I distribute in .doc only when I
need someone to be able to make edits.  PDF has another advantage -
someone can't inadvertently hit their laptop touch pads with the ball
of their thumb, chop out some part of my document and tell me I'm
stupid for overlooking something obvious.  Yes, PDF can be edited, but
sending out a document intended to be read but not updated keeps
honest people honest.

3. Page and line breaks can vary from one version of Windows to
another.  I use paragraph styles, section headers and widow and orphan
control so that the document looks OK even if the breaks change as
they go back and forth.  I also use Times New Roman, Arial and Courier
New when creating documents that are to be edited back and forth.

4. I avoid embedded objects and anything fancy like Yes/No voting
buttons.  [Pretending to be a Luddite, I just vote Yes/No by e-mail
reply if someone tries to send me a document with stuff like that.]

Basically, I follow the KISS principle.  Hope this helps.

Regards
-- Bhaskar