Matthew Rosewarne on 11 Dec 2007 04:58:26 -0000

[PLUG] How To REALLY Verify E-Mail

None of this mess would happen if we all used PGP/GPG, since we can all assure
our identities.  So instead of all the various reverse-lookup methods and
other shenanigans, here's a simple-but-effective way to keep your inbox
sparkling:

1. Check mail

2. Advance to the next message in your mailbox.

3. If the message is signed, return to step 2.

4. If the message is NOT signed, attempt to ascertain the physical location of
sender by whatever means available.  If the sender cannot be located, go to
step 6.

5. Apply violence to the sender.  Calmly advise the sender to use PGP/GPG.

6. Apply violence to the persons nearest to your current location who do not
sign their mail.  Calmly advise them to use PGP/GPG.

7. If there there are remaining messages in your mailbox, return to step 2.

The possible outcomes of this procedure:

    A) All involved henceforth sign their mail for fear of further violence.

    B) The offending users are no longer capable of sending mail.

In either case, you decrease the amount of unsigned mail in your mailbox.
When PGP/GPG becomes adequately widespread, it would be trivial to prevent
unsolicited and/or anonymous mail.