Stephen Gran on 8 Jan 2008 17:01:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sharing an Internet Connection

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 07:38:59PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne said:
> Regardless, I'd very much like to see this notion of config files being an
> effective way to manage configuration go the way of the serial port.

Me too, so long as what you meant about serial ports was "the correct
way to deal with problems at a low level".

Seriously, you can automate config file management with scripts, push
them across to other machines, etc.  GUI based management tools always
make that harder, and they rarely manage to get support for all the
possible options into the GUI.  Pointy-clicky cute stuff is fine for a
casual user, but it makes adminning a machine much harder.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Real Users never know what they want,   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | but they always know when your program  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | doesn't deliver it.                     |