James Barrett on 18 Jan 2008 17:59:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The One True OS, migrating to

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:44:04PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> Please leave this kind of thing to the "Get The Facts" campaign, since it's
> sort of clear that it's skewed towards Linux.  You won't gain their trust
> with such tactics.  Fortunately, we don't need this sort of thing, Linux
> stands very well without spin.

You are right, and the panel is meant to simply educate the faculty
about Linux and its differences comapred to Windows.

> > 30 new machines @ $500 per machine (a VERY conservative estimate)
> > Office 2007 for each machine: $150/license
>
> Why would they buy 30 new machines?  They don't seem to mind keeping the old
> win98 machines around, so why would they ditch them now?

Vista will never run on 95% of the machines that the school currently
owns, as the video and audio cards are incompatible.

> > Two new B&W laser printers and one good color AIO inkjet... $800
>
> This isn't contingent on OS.

Unless I perform magic, more than 3 quarters of the printers they
currently own will never work with Vista, as compatible drivers will
_never_ be made for them.  Of course, print servers might be an option,
like CUPS...

> > We're already well past $20K and have not even calculated flat panels!
> > 30 bulk OEM Flat panels @ $175 each
>
> I would expect they would get the cheapest monitors possible and at an
> educational discount.

Yeah, true.  $175 is really cheap for new flat panels though.

> > Nearing $25000, which is $24000 more than they need to spend.(<--period)
>
> > I do seriously believe that migration to Linux will cost the school less
> > than $1000, give them a state-of-the-art lab and still save them enough
> > money to heat the entier school for a few cold winter months.
>
> Sure, Linux migration is *very* cheap in terms of infrastructure cost.

... but complicated, requiring much careful consideration.

> > The students are currently learning just a few things on these machines.
> > 1) word processing, spreadsheet functions and the such
> > 2) web browsing
> > 3) school stuff (math, reading, spelling)
> > 4) how to do fun, seasonal stuff like make holiday cards with clipart
> >
> > All of which can be done in Linux.  They are NOT doing stuff that
> > requires bleeding edge machinery.
>
> Students need to be be taught the _concepts_, not specific applications.  In
> 10 years, knowing how to use Excel 2007 won't be of much use.

Thanks.