Kristian Erik Hermansen on 20 Jan 2008 08:23:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Compiz Question/speaking of ATI drivers..

On Jan 18, 2008 7:34 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> as part of my forced migration from Win, I have some bizarro dual head
> ATI Radeon Ridiculous Radiation card with a cute little fan and pretty
> stickers on it.
>
> Ubuntu had no problem installing at all.  I believe it went right to
> VESA (and never collected $200).  The *real* fun started when I
> attempted to actually MAKE it run dual head.  After install I had
> dual-mono monitors, meaning that I got the same image on both.
>
> Someone online suggested using the flgrx(?) drivers.   I trod lightly,
> first just getting the card to recognize the monitors, which it didn't
> (and wouldn't).  I manually set the monitors, hit TEST, and *poof* Black
> Screen of Death (nothing at all - nada - non).  It never came back after
> test.
>
> After putzing around with xorg.conf and rebooting a lot, I got back to
> dual-mono.  I located the ati driver (a real feat if you've never messed
> with this before), said a prayer to Hendrix, and let her rip.

OK, here we go...

* Ensure you install ATI driver appropriate for your card
$ sudo restricted-manager
** click on the option to enable the restricted ATI driver

* There are may ways to get dual-monitors, but ATI is picky and may
not work (yay for closed-sources)
Go here -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors#With_the_proprietary_binary_driver
** This setup is for fglrx, the proprietary ATI driver.  You can
follow the direction there, but if they do not work, it is potentially
a bug in the closed driver, and you cannot do anything about it :-(
If you don't need 3D acceleration for gaming/modeling/etc, you can use
the open-source 'ati' driver instead and follow the setup instructions
below.
Go here -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors#With_the_Open_Source_Drivers

In the worst case scenario, you may need to do some real manual
configuration hacking.  It sucks, but you can always get it to work.
VESA is a last resort, and should work without any issues if you find
yourself totally lost...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."