jeff on 20 Jan 2008 14:22:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Compiz Question/speaking of ATI drivers..

Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> OK, here we go...
>
> * Ensure you install ATI driver appropriate for your card
> $ sudo restricted-manager
> ** click on the option to enable the restricted ATI driver

would this be this CLI equivalent of K/Xubuntu's GUI?  There's a box to
check and it asks for credentials.  Did this.

> * There are may ways to get dual-monitors, but ATI is picky and may
> not work (yay for closed-sources)

You gotta love this drill.
"It's not a PITA, it's a learning experience."

> If you don't need 3D acceleration for gaming/modeling/etc, you can use
> the open-source 'ati' driver instead and follow the setup instructions
> below.
> Go here -> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dual_Monitors#With_the_Open_Source_Drivers

BINGO!
Don't do games - this is perfect.  Will try, thanks.

> In the worst case scenario, you may need to do some real manual
> configuration hacking.

I made it work at home last year with the config file.   I didn't want
to attempt it with the new driver.

Gracias.