Art Alexion on 20 Jan 2008 09:20:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

On Saturday 19 January 2008 15:31:56 W. Chris Shank wrote:
> How far in the wind are you willing to stick your bare behind?
> Sometimes, you do need vendors with support teams that can help you.
> It totally sucks to have users breathing down your neck to fix
> something and have no place to turn.

I hear you, but...

a recent [vendor supplied] internet explorer patch killed its ability to load
a bunch of web pages, including the one our hourly employees uses to submit
their timesheets.  Major panic.  The solution: install opensource Firefox and
make it default.  The next solution we found was a community developed and
supplied registry patch.

Sometimes the community support model is superior to vendor support.  Unless
you are paying an arm and a leg for some premium support package.