K.S. Bhaskar on 23 Jan 2008 19:30:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Odd hardware problem

I got curious (my original degree was in electrical engineering - over
30 years ago, so with a seven year half life of knowledge, I may not
remember much, especially with senility creeping up on me) because I
know of static buildup in air (lightning storms in the desert come to
mind).  It occurs to me that even if a static charge builds up in the
air, it would build up near the vacuum nozzle *after* the air has
blown by the electronics and grounding the vacuum cleaner and nozzle
should keep any static buildup from traveling backwards in the air
flow.  So, I asked friend Google, and it appears that (e.g.,
http://www.office1000.com/discount/vacuum-cleaners-anti-static-hepa.html)
anti-static vacuums just  ground the user and the vacuum cleaner.
Also, if the air is even slightly moist (e.g., normal Philadelphia
outdoor air; with a humidifier indoors in winter), there should be
enough conductivity to prevent static build-up.

Any physicists in the audience to shed more light on the topic?

Regards
-- Bhaskar