Toby DiPasquale on 3 Mar 2008 10:32:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Domain registrar thoughts and Mediawiki

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Douglas Muth <doug.muth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 3:47 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>  > Thanks to all who've replied thus far, I'm checking out your suggestions.
>  >
>  >  Dreamhost *looks* awesome, but also gets a lot of bad press (along with
>  >  a lot of good press).  I'm thinking about trying to host with them and
>  >  register with 1and1.  Comments?
>  >

>  My Dreamhost experience: 11 outages in 5 months.  And those are only
>  the ones that I filed tickets on because they lasted longer than my
>  patience threshold. (about half an hour)  I documented all of the
>  outages at http://giza.livejournal.com/495964.html if you're
>  interested in the details.
>
>  Also, I had Drupal completely fall over under Dreamhost.  One day
>  visitors to the site started receiving HTTP 500 errors.  I had to prod
>  Dreamhost only to find that we had "exceeded our memory limit".  So,
>  what was our memory limit?  I have no idea, and neither did Dreamhost
>  apparently.  Their website is mute on the subject.
>
>  So that's my Dreamhost experience.  Totally not bitter here. ;-)

I'd like to second Doug's assessment of Dreamhost. I recently dropped
them because the service had dropped way down in the years I'd been
with them. I'd frequently log into the host and find load averages
well above 100. Outages were common and while the customer support was
good, they couldn't keep the service running as sanguinely as I'd have
liked. I'm now a happy Slicehost customer for only $20/mo. I can run
whatever I want however I want to and don't have to worry about
overprovisioning.

--
Toby DiPasquale